Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bless My Heart


Last Sunday, Mark (my former Michigan roommate who’s now a Texan) and I went to a church service at the Southside Church of Christ in Ft. Worth. The preacher, Steve, grew up in my hometown of Searcy, and he, as well as three of the other members, attended Harding Academy, my high school alma mater. Louisa, who was in the same grade as Steve at HA, is now a physician assistant. She is an excellent PA I’m sure--to hear her talk even a little bit about it and to know something of her aptitude for studies, I’m convinced of this; and Steve is certainly in his calling as a preacher. In I Corinthians, Paul talks about the different members making up the body of Christ, the church. Certainly, I could look at any church congregation and see variety in occupations; but it struck me much more powerfully this particular Sunday to witness students from the same high school class, one ministering largely with preaching, another largely through medicine--both part of the same church congregation. It was a blessing to experience this. The previous Sunday, I heard Randy Frazee (via video) speak at Journey Fellowship. I went there with my friends Buck and Katy and their girls, Lily and Zoe. Katy runs a “giftique” called Bless Your Heart, a place to behold with your eyes even if you don’t intend to buy anything—but (beware) you’re bound to find something to purchase if you go. Buck has lived in San Antonio since graduating from college in ‘99. I remember driving to SA with him and looking for his first apartment. A few years later, he brought his girlfriend, Katy, up to Arkansas, and in 2004, I traveled in Italy with Buck and Katy, who were by then engaged. I moved to Michigan later that summer, and it wasn’t long until I was flying to SA for a wedding. Last year, I met their daughter Lily in Michigan, and now I’ve met Zoe. On Memorial Day, we went to Buck’s parents’ for dinner. Buck’s dad said a prayer and thanked God for a friendship that has lasted all these years. It is indeed a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment