Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Recharged

Home. That’s where I was last week. Back in my old room, which still has mementos of mine on shelves and a bed that’s easy to sleep in. The first night I was there, dots of illumination outside the house made the atmosphere sparkle—lighting bugs: it had been a while since I’d seen those. I wonder what makes their light recharge. I’m sure there’s a scientific explanation, but, regardless, the effect seems magical. While at home, I was able to recharge my phone, recharge my computer, and recharge myself in some way, too.

When one isn’t sure how to proceed further with a project, it can be good to start back at the beginning. Not too long ago, some friends helped me produce a “genogram,” chronicling important events of my life before college for reflective, analysis purposes. One thing that was suggested to me is that my Searcy home has functioned as a means of stability in my life. It has allowed me to feel more assured when venturing to new places because I remained connected to a familiar home. I have to say the real essence of this is my parents, themselves, and would remain so at another location if they moved. But, there’s something special about the physical place as well. Even though I live someplace else, I can fit in at this other home and take an interest in details about a house and a yard 862 miles from my own. What type of countertop will Mom select for the kitchen? Has Dad seen if any more of the bluebird eggs have hatched in the neighbor’s yard? Recharging isn’t simply a means of finding energy to repeat the same cycles as before. It can re-charge you to attempt something more or something different. Self-reflection occasioned by security and relaxation and a sense of your past can charge you to live life more deliberately.

3 comments:

  1. I bet this post makes your parents cry! It is a very sweet post, Zac. I know they will appreciate it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how on Facebook, you can "Like" a post. I never use that feature because it seems pretty silly to me. You should either comment and join the conversation or just be silent. This blog post made me want to hit the "Like" button because I wanted to join the conversation but I felt like an intruder. I wanted to say it's sweet and good and that I can see this recharged spirit in you, but felt out of place in it's personal nature. You have captured a beautiful moment in life here, Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to recharge with true Energy before a full-circle return to pure Michigan.

    ReplyDelete