Monday, May 17, 2010

Heading South

On my final day in Seattle, I met up with the up-and-coming-actress Tabitha Kronenwetter (whom I'd been in a couple of plays with at RC) at St. Mark's Cathedral, and we had lunch at Voula's Offshore Cafe, a Greek restaurant that's been featured on the Food Network. The place has a diner feel to it--nothing fancy. We seated ourselves, and no one came to bring us menus, so I went and grabbed a couple. Voula, herself, then brought us silverware. I ordered the Greek Hobo (Greek sausage, mushrooms, onions, hasbrowns, and eggs smashed together and covered with feta cheese). I ate about half, and then (again because of the busy-ness of the place) took the liberty of getting my own to-go box. As we were about to leave, I asked the woman who served as our cashier how long she'd worked at Voula's. She said since 1984. This is definitely a place worth checking out--if you're not in a hurry. In Portland, I stopped and pulled out the to-go box for supper. Was just going to leave the city after eating, but I saw a sign with the word "Cascade" on it and remembered that the former Cascade College (which had been a sister school to Rochester) was in Portland. I thought it'd be neat to see the campus, and I called information, which still had a listing for the college. I found it with help from the GPS. The sign is still up by the road, and I walked around for a few minutes and discovered that the campus is currently being used by Columbia Christian School, and they're hoping to raise enough money to purchase it. While walking around, I saw a "Harding swing" and a sign for "York Hall"--connections to other sister schools of the former college. I've ended the day in Roseburg, Oregon at another Motel 6: again no alarm clock, but this room has a mini-fridge and a microwave with a clock on it. Tomorrow, on to California.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found Voula's--huge plates of food, right? Seattle is cloudy today. Did you take the sun to CA with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that there is a "Harding swing" all the way out there. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete