Saturday, May 22, 2010

San Francisco Tribute

Yesterday, I spent about seven hours in San Francisco. Since 1999, NYC has been my favorite city in the world, and I'm not ready to change that designation but...I do think that, for me, SF would make a better city for living in than NYC. SF seems more driver-friendly (despite its steep streets), is less crowded (even though it is the second most densely populated place in the U.S.), and feels more laid back and casual. While in the city, I visited the Italian American Museum where I bought a book of Durer's etchings for Dante's Divine Comedy, drove down Lombard Street (known as the crookedest street in the world), visited the City Lights bookstore (famous for its association with the Beats) where I purchased a book by David Crystal called Txtng: the Gr8 Db8, walked to Coit Tower (where this picture of a mural was taken), and had dinner in the Fisherman's Wharf area--ended up getting shrimp in a sourdough bread bowl. I was going to check out one more site before leaving--a gift shop that has an entrance designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. First I went to the wrong area. Then I drove past it. I intended to turn around--first on 4th Street (no left turn), then 3rd (no left turn), then second (no left turn), then first (no left or right turn). It was getting late, and the city was becoming more crowded: I decided to let this one go.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is the first city report that I am truly jealous of so far. Beautiful architecture, Fisherman's Wharf AND City Lights Bookstore?!?! Can't wait to hear more about it all.

    ReplyDelete