Friday, May 7, 2010

Not Turning Around for Hiawatha or a Viking Ship

If there was one thing I wanted to see in Ironwood, Mich.--and take a picture of to possibly use in a future American Lit. class--it was the fifty-two feet high statue of Hiawatha. I remembered this several miles after leaving Ironwood. I decided to keep going: I could always pull up the picture online to show a class. My next stopping point for the night was Moorhead, Minnesota. I ate supper in Detroit Lakes, about an hour from Moorhead, at a tiny Mexican restaurant. Working behind the counter that night were Justin and Ryan. I asked advice about what to see in Fargo, which is right next to Moorhead. Justin couldn't think of anything worth seeing in Fargo, but he did mention that Moorhead has a Viking museum with a Viking ship in it. When I arrived at the Super 8 in Moorhead, I looked for a brochure about this museum--but none of the three or so brochures seemed to feature anything Viking-related. I guess I should have made my own brochure as a reminder, for I left Moorhead in rainy weather without remembering to check on the museum. When it did cross my mind, I decided that since I'd already been to a Viking museum with a Viking ship in Norway, I could live without seeing this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment